Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering with the Athens Area Humane Society. We appreciate you offering one of the most valuable things you can, your time. Your love for animals is what brought you here and we hope that your love will develop into concern and compassion for their welfare.
As a volunteer, you are part of our organization and together we will work side by side to provide a safe place for all the companion animals within our community. Your contributions, dedication and commitment are vital to our success. Each volunteer opportunity, although different, contributes an important part to the organization and plays a vital role in our ability to achieve our goals.
Please browse our website to learn more about our program and how you can help. We look forward to learning more about you and your pets.
Save Lives by Volunteering
The Athens Area Humane Society is a no-kill organization dedicated to lowering area euthanasia rates through adoption, spay/neuter and pet retention programs. We could not do this work without the support of volunteers. Our volunteers help animals and people in support of our mission. Ultimately, supporting the bond between people and animals is what makes volunteering with the Athens Area Humane Society a rewarding experience.
Want to help us fulfill this mission?
Click here to get started as a volunteer!
Community Service & Service Learning
If you have been court mandated to complete service hours, you must follow the community service program requirements below. If you sign up as a regular volunteer, your hours will not count toward court-ordered community service.
If you are required to complete community service hours, whether it is court ordered or a class requirement, you must attend our Community Service Orientation. This orientation is held Wednesday mornings at 11am. You must call our shelter at 706-705-2247 to sign-up for the orientation. Clarke County residents must contact their probation officer to sign-up. Community Service must be completed at our shelter, not the adoption center.
Interested in helping in other ways?
Click here for project ideas.
Current Needs for AAHS
- Posting Flyers: Volunteers are needed to post flyers for our upcoming events: Cinco de Meow, Rescue Me! Dog Meet & Greet and Photography Fundraiser. If you can flyer a large area, please let Amanda know by email so we can print flyers for you. However, it's also a HUGE help if you just print a few flyers to post at your school, work and while doing any errands!
- Cinco de Meow Volunteers: Volunteers will be greatly needed for the Cinco de Meow adoption promotion at both the Shelter from 10am to 4pm and at the Adoption Center during open hours to help greet potential adopters and assist with daily tasks. Cinco de Meow will be April 29 trough May 5. Please sign up on the Shelter Schedule or Adoption Center Schedule.
- Photography Fundraiser: Holly Browns Photography will be hosting a photography fundraiser to raise money for AAHS on May 18 from 11am to 7pm. We need two volunteers to assist her in the photography area to get the animals' attention while getting their photos taken. Please sign up in the Special Events Schedule.
- Spay & Neuter Center Volunteers: Volunteers are needed every Tuesday of each month and every first and third Wednesday of each month to help with our Tomcat Tuesdays and Senior Citizen promotions. These days will likely be more busy because of the discounts offered, so volunteer help is very much appreciated!
- Pet Care Clinic Volunteers are needed for all upcoming clinics. Please sign up on the Pet Care Clinic Volunteer Schedule.
Please email Amanda if you have any questions about these volunteer opportunities.
Contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator
Please email Amanda, our Outreach Coordinator Manager, if you have any questions about volunteering or suggestions.