Zeus, the resident shelter cat and shelter namesake.
We DO NOT take animals from the general public. We only pull animals that are scheduled to be put down. We do have a dog re-homing program, but you must be able to act as your own foster home as we search for an adopter. Please click the link to the left for more information about this program.
Need to Re-home a Pet?
We understand that surrendering your pet is one of the most difficult decisions you've ever had to make. The anxiety over whether it was a good decision or not can be overwhelming at times, and it's for that reason that we would like to offer some help. Think about why you want to re-home your pet.
- Is there a behavioral problem? Petfinder.com offers a wealth of knowledge and videos to help with common dog and cat problems that, with patience, can be fixed.
- Is there a financial problem? AAHS provides free pet food to families that are struggling through our Food Bowl Program.
- Are you moving? Finding a place to live is difficult, especially if you have a pet. This is why we have a listing of pet-friendly housing in our area.
Surrendering a pet is never an easy decision. But if you find you must part ways with your pet, you do have options. Notify trusted friends, family members, neighbors and coworkers that you need to find a new home for your pet. More often than not, this type of networking can have very positive results. Plus, you may even get to visit on occasion if you find your pet a new home within your social network!
If you have an animal that you wish to surrender and rehome, you will need to contact your local animal control or you can visit www.SpotSociety.org.
- Athens-Clarke County Animal Control: 706-613-3540
- Oconee County Animal Control: 706-769-3956
- Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter: 706.795.2868
- Barrow County Animal Control: 770-307-3012
- Jackson County Animal Control: 706-367-1028
- For more animal shelters and breed-specific rescues, please visit www.SpotSociety.org.