Lost and Found
- Athens-Clarke County Animal Control: 706-613-3540
- Oconee County Animal Control: 706-769-3956
- Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter: 706.795.2868
- Barrow County Animal Control: 770-307-3012
- Jackson County Animal Control: 706-367-1028
Why pets stray
A common reason a pet will stray from home is that it isn’t spayed or neutered and is looking for a mate. Spaying or neutering eliminates an animal’s reproductive instincts and decreases the desire to roam.
- Your cat or dog wears a current rabies tag, license tag and an ID tag with your present address and phone numbers
- Your address and phone numbers are on file with the veterinarian who provided your pet’s most recent vaccinations
- Your contact information is current with the registry for your pet’s microchip identification implant
A microchip identification implant is the size of a grain of rice and is inserted under an animal’s skin. It contains a number that is filed with a national registry. The registry keeps owner contact information. When a shelter or veterinary practice finds an implant on a lost pet, they contact the registry. To get a microchip ID for your pet, consult your veterinarian.
Every dog and cat adopted from the Athens Area Humane Society has a microchip ID implant. If you have an AAHS pet and haven’t kept your contact information current with the national registry, please call us at 706-705-2247.