Do you wish you could help more animals in our community, but you just can't commit to adopting a pet right now? Well, maybe fostering a dog would be a great fit for your lifestyle, without the lifetime commitment of an additional pet! A lot of people just don't realize how easy it is to be a foster parent and how rewarding it is.
- Complete a Foster Care Application.
- Attend a foster care orientation/training session.
- After orientation, we'll work with you to schedule an appointment for an AAHS representative to come to your home for the required Department of Agriculture inspection.
- Bring home your first foster animal for some much needed TLC!
Is Fostering Right for You?
Reasons to Foster:
- ALL of the things you will need for the foster dog, from a crate to food to blankets to toys, will be provided to you at no cost.
- You get to help pick out the dog that will be placed in your home.
- You will save lives! Adopting a pet helps save lives, but fostering will give you the opportunity to save multiple lives in a short period of time.
- You can be a part of that wonderful new beginning to the dog's and adopter's lives.
- Give the dog lots of love and attention while in your care.
- Commit to fostering the dog until it gets adopted. Some dogs are adopted in a matter of days, while others may take up to a few weeks or few months to find the right home. There is no guarantee on the length of time the dog will be in your care.
- Be able to attend one-on-one meet and greets for the foster dog to meet potential fosters at our Watkinsville location. Also, be able to attend (or drop-off/pick-up dog at) AAHS adoption events.
- All of our dogs are temperament tested, but we can't guarantee that they'll be potty-trained or that we know everything about the dog when they first come to your home. So patience is key, and remember that there is no "perfect" dog (just like there are no "perfect" humans).
- Receive lots of loving licks and wags from your foster dog!