AAHS rescues dogs from Animal Control which otherwise would be put down. It is our goal to get our community to be a no-kill community, and our Dog Foster Program is essential to achieving this goal.
You can be a part of AAHS' lifesaving work by becoming a Dog Foster Parent. Here's how:
- Email Dogs@AthensHumaneSociety.org for a Foster Application
- Complete a Foster Care Application.
- Home Inspection: We work with you to schedule an appointment for an AAHS representative to come to your home for the required Department of Agriculture inspection.
- Bring home your first foster animal for some much needed TLC!
Reasons to Foster:
- We pay for ALL
of the things you will need for the foster dog, from a crate to
food to blankets to toys, at no
cost to you!
will save lives! Adopting a pet helps save lives, but fostering
will give you the opportunity to save multiple lives in a short
period of time.
- Give the dog lots of love and attention while in your care.
- Commit to fostering the dog until it gets adopted. Some dogs are adopted in a matter of days, while others may take up to a few weeks or few months to find the right home. .
- Attend AAHS adoption events if possible. If not able, we ask that you work with us to coordinate picking up or dropping the dog off at adoption events.
- Have patience - All of our dogs are temperament tested, but we can't guarantee that they'll be potty-trained or that we know everything about the dog when they first come to your home. So patience is key, and remember that there is no "perfect" dog (just like there are no "perfect" humans).
- Receive lots of loving licks and wags from your foster dog!
Download a Dog Foster Care Application and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 706-769-9151. If you have any questions or concerns about fostering, please email email@example.com or call 706-705-2247.